Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Assignment 9

What I've Learned This Year

I really enjoyed reading this post by Mr. McClung. It really helped me to realize that as a teacher you will learn a lot more once you get in the classroom. What really affected me most was Mr. McClung talking about being flexible as a teacher. This is very true. He says we all want things done a certain way and we plan for these perfect lessons. Sometimes things do not go as planned and you need to be aware that they are just children and you must go on with the lesson anyway. This piece of information will greatly help me when I am an elementary teacher. He also speaks of how communication is the solution to problems. If you need to work something out it, it is important to talk it out. I agree with this because then you understand what the other person is feeling/saying and they understand you as well. Mr. McClung talks about being so worried about being assessed by his superiors and making lesson plans that were good for him and maybe not so great for his students. I also agreed with what he had to say about being effective with your lesson planning. It is important that your students understand the material you are teaching. That is how you become an effective teacher. He also talks about as teachers they hold high expectations and sometimes students reach them and sometimes they don't. He says not to get upset if the student(s) do not reach your expectation. We just must encourage them to keep trying :) I also agree with what Mr. McClung has to say about not being afraid of technology. Technology is very helpful in education. He says to not be afraid and take your time to learn about technology and how to use it. I like it when he says you are not supposed to be able to master a computer system the first time you use it. Mr. McClung says it is important to listen to our students because you might be the only person that does. That really made a point with me because it is true, we might be the only stable adult that the student will ever see in their life. It is important we listen to them. Mr. McClung ends his post with explaining that we should keep learning as educators. It is important because it will only be beneficial to us as teachers and to our students. I really felt like I learned a lot from Mr. McClung's blog post. I will use what he talked about when I am a teacher :)

Computer with world on top of it

2 comments:

  1. Hey Leigh,

    I totally agree with you. I feel that it really has helped me by having a young teacher reflect back and give the future generations of teachers a heads-up. I like how the first point you talk about is about how teachers need to remember to be flexible. To me this was the most important of his points. I feel like this is many teachers struggles, because we all want that 'perfect' lecture. As teachers we must remember that these are young students! I really like your post and hope that we all take something from this post like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " If you need to work something out it, it is important to talk it out. I agree with this because then you understand what the other person is feeling/saying and they understand you as well. "

    This is key because I think it capture the whole purpose of blogging. Blogs can be a place of troubleshooting your problems and ideas just like Mr. McClung did. Your students can benefit in much the same way!

    ReplyDelete